Monday, October 6, 2008

Blu Ray Releases for 10/07 Previewed Briefly by Blue

* The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (Sony) - Ooh Harryhausen on blu ray. It'll be interesting to see how his stop motion footage holds up in the higher resolution, as there was already an easily discernible difference in quality in the dvds. I kind of love this movie, not for any rational reason, and not even for the creature fx, I just love the whole style of the production and the sfx of the heroine shrunken down by the evil wizard. Not the best Harryhausen film(Jason and the Argonauts or Clash of the Titans is that) but a personal pleasure.

* The Amityville Horror (1979) (MGM) - Alleged classic, that launched a thousand weak haunted house ripoffs. Ghosts. Just. Aren't. Intimidating. Seriously. They're little spazzy clouds. Get over it.

* Beetlejuice (Warner) - Now, they may not be physically intimidating, but they can really be funny, as this classic proves. Tim Burton gets a lot of flack these days but imo he had an amazing run for his first ten years or so. This is his second film, and it still feels fresh and original today.

* Body Heat (Warner) - I don't like Kathleen Turner. Just don't. Don't find her especially attractive, either. She comes off sort of drag-queeny to me.

* Carrie (1976) (MGM) - A classic, and the movie that launched both Brian DePalma and Stephen King to fame. Both have suffered artistically since(after creative peaks following this film) but this stands the test of time. Fun fact, Sissy Spacek had been cast as Princess Leia in Star Wars, and Carrie Fisher as Carrie in this, but Lucas and DePalma, who were friends, were sharing their audition space and decided to swap lead actresses. I don't think anyone's ever complained. I can see Carrie Fisher playing Carrie, but not Sissy Spacek as Princess Leia.

* Faces of Death (Gorgon) - A collection of gruesome real life news video and out-right shams. None of this was ever even DVD quality footage so don't waste your money.

* The Happening (Fox) - Hahahahahahahahhahaha. Hahahahahahahahaha. Hahahahaha.

* Korn: Live on the Other Side (Image) - Korn, a nerd band pretending to be hardcore, for fans of the same type.

* The Omen (1976) (Fox) - Eh, I hated the remake but this original isn't really much better imo. Kind of junky even back then.

* The Omen: The Collection (Fox) - Despite what I said about the first film above I really do hold a place in my heart for the sequels. Guilty pleasures for sure.

* Otis: Uncut (Warner) - I should ask Blulighter about this film because although I've seen the title mentioned for seemingly ever on horror movie websites I never bothered to actually look into whether it was any good. In any case it's new horror so buyer beware.

* Ray Harryhausen Collection (20 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, It Came From Beneath the Sea, 7th Voyage of Sinbad) (Sony) - If you like Harryhausen these are all must-buys, though to tell the truth I find most of them slightly boring. They're good once every five years on a rainy saturday afternoon.

* Rest Stop (Warner) - New horror. Dunno what this is, the cover art for the dvd at Walmart(horror found easily at Walmart is usually a bad sign first off) reminds me of Wrong Turn, which I sort of liked. Although really it was kind of inexplicable that I liked that, so this probably stinks. Sound logic, I say.

* Rest Stop: Don't Look Back (Warner) - A sequel for a movie I never bothered to see. Sounds like a winner.

* Sleeping Beauty (Walt Disney) - Supposedly this looks amazing on blu ray but I'm not a big Disney fan so pass. Probably guaranteed enjoyment to anyone else though.

* Stuck (Image) - Stuart Gordon is always worth a shot. Rental though.

* The Visitor (2008) (Starz) - One of the best reviewed films of the year, but it didn't look like anything that needs to be seen in blu ray quality.

* You Don't Mess with The Zohan (Sony) - Adam Sandler. Yawn.

* Young Frankenstein (Fox) - Outright classic, but suffers from poor rewatchability for me. I much prefer The Producers and Blazing Saddles.

No comments: